Sewage systems are built to handle extended periods of use. However, some materials can end up clogging your sewage line and cause major problems with your plumbing. Clogged waste lines can ruin your sewage system, creating the potential for larger problems if they are left unattended.
What Not to Flush
The number of items that are unsafe for your sewage system, despite their intended use, may be surprising, but important to note. These items are not flushable:
- “Flushable” wipes. Although marketed as “flushable,” these wipes can get stuck in your pipes, causing massive clogs and burst sewage lines. The fibers that make up these wipes do not break down as easily as toilet paper, leading to a higher likelihood of clogs and stopped pipes.
- Sanitary products. Period pads and tampons absorb water, which can cause major blockages deep in your drains. These blockages can be detrimental to your sewer line, creating the potential for even bigger issues like broken or burst pipes.
- Diapers. Diapers act like sanitary products, but on a much larger scale. Between absorption and size, just one diaper can be enough to completely block major pipes in your plumbing system.
What to Flush
Here’s a look at what you can flush:
- Waste material. Toilets are meant to dispose of human waste, so flushing any natural waste from your body works with your septic system.
- Toilet paper. Toilet paper, when used in moderation, is designed to be flushed down your drain. The makeup of the sheets is easily dissolvable, and when toilet paper is used properly, it will easily flow through your waste system.
Keeping Your Pipes Clog Free
Knowing the materials that can and cannot go down your drain is essential to keeping your pipes clear and functioning properly. Between mislabeled products to unknowingly hazardous blockage risks, the list of what should not go down your toilet is seemingly endless. At ClearWater Plumbers, our team of plumbing technicians is well-equipped to handle clogs of any size and capacity. For help with any plumbing issues, contact us today.