Little Changes Make the Difference
The holidays are a magical time of year, full of decorations, fun traditions and lots of activities. Being environmentally friendly can get lost between all the hustle and bustle. Still, many of us want to be green all year long. Nipper Electric is committed to bringing green technology and environmental electrical service to the Virginia Beach area. We’ve come up with some extra ways you can stay green this holiday season.
Start Your Season with Holiday Trimming
The holiday doesn’t seem to start before the lights and trees go up. All the lights and decorations create extra electrical costs. Plus there are always the environmental costs to think of too. For the average Amercian, household waste increases around 25% just during the holidays. But no one wants to end their holiday traditions or give up their festive decorations. There are ways to be earth and still have your holiday cheer.
- Pick the Perfect Tree – Live or artificial there are green options available. For live trees, be sure to recycle or pick a potted tree to plant after the season. For artificial trees, pick one that is made with eco-friendly materials.
- Go LED! – You can still save energy on lights, even if you want to be the brightest spot in the neighborhood. Just use LED bulbs, they help your budget and the earth. Nipper Electric can even help you string it up or choose the right lights.
- Shine On Solar! – You might not have known this, but solar power holiday lights are really out there. If you’re looking at saving money and the environment, solar is always a great idea.
- Reinvent Reuse!- You can take old decorations and create new ones or even better, swap decorations with some neighbors at a holiday party. Make it a new Holiday tradition, one that will save you time, money, and the environment.
If being green is important to you, finding the perfect gift might feel difficult. Being thoughtful and responsible with your choice may seem impossible. However, there are many ways to be green and be generous.
- Choose Something Green – Potted Evergreens, bulbs or some other plant for the green thumb in the family can be a perfect gift that will be enjoyed season after season.
- Recycled Riches –Clothing, jewelry, furniture, toys, even electronic devises can be made from recycled materials. Recycled materials will make gifts unique while feeling brand new. Plus there’s less strain on the environment and your pocket.
- Vintage and Antiques – There is nothing better than a classic. Buying vintage or antiques also helps the environment by cutting back waste.
- Closet Finds – If something has been collecting dust in your home, give it to someone who will truly love it.
Shop ‘Til You Don’t Drop
Christmas shopping can be a chore, plus all that running around creates a big carbon footprint. Make your shopping green by:
- Shopping online! Nothing is better than clicking and coffee, plus you can group package shipping to save money and the environment.
- Have a plan… and a list. Don’t get distracted, a list will help you stay focused and stay on budget.
- Take one shopping trip. Multiple shopping trips waste time, money, energy and your sanity. Go once and forget it.
Countdown to Cheer
Getting into the spirit of things can be exhausting and expensive. If you aren’t careful, you could overspend or add to extra waste. Going green this holiday season can be the perfect way to spread cheer. Nipper Electric loves the holiday season. If you have any questions about solar energy or making your life greener, just call us at 757-842-1710 or make an appointment online. We would love to brighten your holidays.