Ways to Keep Warm with Low Energy Use
We all know winter electric cost can get expensive. You can cut back on those costs with some little changes. Nipper Electric wants to help you cut back on those costs with some energy saving strategies. From lighting choices to heating, these tips can lower your winter energy use.
Ditch the Draft
Drafts cause major heat loss and add major costs. Plus, drafts are sneaky, they can be anywhere. When you cover these leaks, you can drastically cut back on costs. Use insulation for these problem areas:
- Exterior Electrical Outlets
- Gaps in Chimneys
- Gaps in Recessed Lighting
Here is how you can take care of those pesky leaks:
- For electrical outlets add foam insulation or have your trusted electrician help you with the covering leaks.
- For windows, you can cover them with energy saving panels that keep drafts out and insulate your home.
- Another option for windows is to insulate them with heavy plastic to add another layer of protection against the chill of winter
- For fireplaces – Fireplaces need extra care and extra steps.
- Turn down the thermostat and close off the room during fireplace use, so more warm air doesn’t escape up the chimney.
- Either open the bottom damper or a close-by window about an inch to help with smoke, but keep the top damper closed or open a just a bit.
- Close fireplace dampers when not in use.
- If you never use your fireplace, then just plug it up and seal it, you will end a lot of leak issues.
Manage Your Temperature
Keeping your home comfortable on a budget isn’t hard if you make a few adjustments:
- Set Thermostats on a comfortable low temperature.
- Turn down your thermostat between 10° to 15°, while you are asleep or away. A programmable thermostat will make this easier. Nipper Electric is able to help you install and set one up.
- Get some of your heat from nature. Open curtains on windows that face south during warm hours and close them in the evening.
- Run appliances during cooler hours. Do laundry, run the dishwasher, cook dinner. These early morning or evening chores can help heat your home.
- Keep an eye on your furnace.
- Replace filter at least once a month.
- Clean your flue vents.
- Schedule regular furnace maintenance.
As evening get darker sooner, lights go on earlier. Lowering your electric bill can depend on lower light usage as well:
- Use natural light when possible.
- Switch to Led Lighting.
- Turn off extra lights.
Up to 20% of electrical energy usage is eaten up by water heaters. Cutting back on hot water usage isn’t the only option.
- Turn down heat settings on your water heaters to a warm setting of around 120° F.
- Wrap your Water Heater. Adding a wrap to your water heater will reduce heat loss and can even add 2°F to 4°F to your water temperature, further saving you money.
Doing even just a few of these tricks makes a big difference in for winter electrical costs. Nipper Electric is here to help you fight that hike in electric costs. Our dedicated and professional team is here to make your winter warm, cozy and protect your budget. Call us at 757-842-1710 to get started today or make an appointment online.