As the season changes and weather turns cooler, it’s the perfect time to get your home prepared for winter. Make a fall cleanup part of your seasonal plans every year with the help of a professional electrician, like Nipper Electric. Our experienced and licensed team of professional electricians can get your home winter ready with a fall checkup. Your safety is our top priority, so we’ve come up with a few tips to help you get winter ready before it’s too late.
Avoid Electrical Issues By Preparing For Winter Now
Along the Virginia Beach coast, the weather can be unpredictable during winter. Snowy days mixed with the moisture from the ocean can create dangerous ice conditions. The last thing you want during these winter storms is to have an electrical issue. Here’s the best way to prepare for winter with a fall cleanup and checkup:
- Check for Loose or Long Branches– Iced over branches can become heavy overnight. When these branches snap, they can land anywhere. On your car, on your roof, or even across power lines and cables. Be sure the branches surrounding your home are healthy, trimmed, and short enough for winter. If the branches intersect or are close to power lines or cables, alert your electric company.
- Look for Cracks, Tears, and Erosion- Electrical cables, wiring, outlets, and connectors wear down over time. Be sure to look for any cracks or corrosion on electrical surfaces. Have them repaired immediately. You could be saving a life. Take a close look at the following areas:
- Meter Boxes
- Outdoor Outlets
- Electrical Panels
- Indoor Outlets
- Indoor Appliances
- Keep Your House Heated- It’s important to save money on heating, but a moderate temperature is important. Pipes will freeze and burst when you have lower temperatures. Just keep the thermostat above 65 degrees. You can invest in a programmable thermostat to help you both save money and monitor the temperature.
- Inspect Your Generator, Or Get One Installed- Generators are a lifesaver when winter weather strikes. If you have one, have a professional electrician inspect it before winter. If you don’t have one, consider putting one in. Here are just a few benefits to having a generator:
- Prevents Pipes Freezing
- Saves Food
- Provides a Safety and Warmth During Emergencies
- Helps Back Up Data on Computers
- Can Help Prevent Damage to Appliances
- Make Sure Heating Sources Are Clear- Heating areas like vents or radiators need to be clear of all clutter. Blankets, curtains, clothes, and other items should be placed away from all heating sources. These items can become too hot and catch fire when no one is looking.
- Have Detectors Installed- It is so important to have both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors installed and ready for winter. With more indoor activities, holiday cooking, and toasty fires in the fireplace, the risk of both fires and carbon monoxide poisoning increases. Have a professional like Nipper Electric install the right detectors in the appropriate space to keep you safe.
Trusted Electricians in Virginia Beach Keep You Safe
Nipper Electric remains the area’s trusted electrician. We offer multiple services as well as phone estimates and clear cut pricing. The safety of our neighbors and friends here in Virginia Beach is very important to us. If you have any concerns or would like to schedule a repair or electrical checkup, call us at 757-842-1710. We are here to get you ready for winter. You can even make an appointment online while you relax.