Tips for Keeping Your Home Cozy and Safe
Winter temperature control can affect your health in many ways. Artificial heating can bring on illness, pests and all sorts of health problems. There’s either too little heat, too much & too dry heat or too much moisture. Nipper Electric can help with solutions like:
- Programmable Thermostats
- Bathroom Exhaust Fans
- Ceiling Fan Installations
- Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Smoke Alarms
When it comes to having a healthy and comfortable home, you have to get your heating just right. We have some guidelines to follow for winter warmth and health.
Turning down your thermostat saves money. Here are some tips to do it right:
- Keep It Comfy, Not Cold – Make sure you never turn down your thermostat lower than 65°F. While lower temperatures can help you shed pounds, being too cold has other side effects, especially with your circulation and breathing.
- Heat the Rooms You Use – Turning heat off in unused spaces is fine. Just be sure to keep the rooms you use comfortable. Going too quickly from warm to cold tightens arteries. Your blood pressure goes up and your blood flow goes down.
- Leave the Thermostat Alone- You can use a programmable thermostat to help cut costs and regulate temperature, but don’t fiddle with it. Drastic changes in temperature mess up your circulation.
- Warm Up Slowly – If you come in from the cold, don’t rush to heat up. Add gloves or layers to get warm gradually. Warming up too fast can make your blood vessels open quickly and make you blood flow too fast. The result is painful.
Constantly running heating systems creates dry air. Dry air creates problems by drying out the mucus in your lungs, sinuses, and nasal passages. It also creates an environment for illness to spread. Avoid dry stale air with these tips.
- Turn Down Heat- Keep temperatures low during the hours you are sleeping or away. Running your heater less will lower the dryness of your home.
- Run One System – If you have different heating systems, like central heating and a fireplace. Don’t overlap them. Turn down your thermostat while you have a fire blazing.
- Be sure to have a Carbon Monoxide Detector and Smoke Detector installed, especially in rooms with a fireplace or wood burning stove.
- Use a Humidifier – In bedrooms and common rooms only, run a humidifier. Just be sure to keep the whole device clean. Empty it and wipe it out daily to avoid bacteria or mold growths.
Bathrooms, kitchens, and even laundry areas can get damp with winter use. Mold and living pollutants can wreak havoc on your health. Keep excess moisture away with these steps.
- Exhaust Fans – Bathroom exhaust fans and stove vents help remove extra moisture. Nipper Electric regularly installs exhaust fans and can find the one that best fits your needs.
- Shorter Showers – Keep your baths and showers to a minimum or run your exhaust fan while you bathe.
- Keep it Clean – Keep your bathroom and kitchen surfaces clean. Choose gentle cleansers to avoid sinus irritation.
It is always important to regulate your home’s temperature. Make sure you are being safe when you use your central heating or fireplace. Nipper Electric has a professional and knowledgeable staff to keep your home cozy. Call us today at 757-842-1710 to get started on making your home comfortable and healthy. Or make an appointment online.